In this second episode on consolidation, Host Rachel (Rae) Woods sits down with health system expert, Ben Umansky, to talk about the impact Covid-19 may have on hospital consolidation. For many years, experts have been predicting an extreme view of what hospitals could look like in the future—including a world of mega health systems and the death of the independent hospital. Together, Rae and Ben explore the how real that prediction is, unpack the true long-term impact of Covid-19 on consolidation, and offer the no-regrets tactics every organizations should take regardless of size.
- Are you a SINO ('System In Name Only')? Why so many health systems get 'systemness' wrong.
- Why most systems struggle with systemness
- Why do so few big health systems achieve 'clinical advantage'?
- Hospital mergers always promise 'economies of scale.' Why do so few deliver?
- Ep. 32: Are independent physicians going extinct? Not so fast.